Search FAQ

Start typing a word or set or words related to the FAQ you are looking for.

No. Individuals may either represent themselves or be represented by an attorney, a CPA, or any other authorized representative. Non-resident attorneys, CPAs, or others may also represent taxpayers before the Tax Tribunal. If you will not represent yourself, an Alabama Tax Tribunal Power of Attorney Form 2848ATT designating an individual(s) to represent you is required.

No. All matters before the Alabama Tax Tribunal are decided by a Tax Tribunal Judge, not by a jury. Hearings before the Tax Tribunal are conducted by a Tax Tribunal Judge and recorded by a court reporter.

Yes. You may appeal the decision to the appropriate circuit court, as provided in Code of Alabama, 1975, ยง40-2B-2(m). If an individual or corporation is a nonresident and does not have a principal place of business in Alabama, the appeal should be filed with the Montgomery County Circuit Court. You also may apply for a rehearing with the Alabama Tax Tribunal within 15 days from the date the Tax Tribunal’s Final Order was entered.

The Tax Tribunal generally has jurisdiction over appeals of tax matters involving the Alabama Department of Revenue, and those self-administered counties and municipalities that have not opted-out of the Tax Tribunal’s jurisdiction. The Tax Tribunal hears appeals involving individual and business income tax, sales and use tax, withholding tax, lease tax, mandatory liability insurance disputes, disputes involving licenses issued by the Department, and other matters.

Yes. The Tax Tribunal does not have jurisdiction to:

  • Review county property tax (ad valorem) assessments of real or personal property, except the valuation of properties of public utilities;
  • Hear appeals regarding abandoned motor vehicle sales or disputed certificates of title;
  • Hear disputes involving personalized automobile license plates;
  • Hear appeals involving the collection (i.e. liens, garnishments and offset letters) of a final tax liability owed the State;
  • Hear personnel actions of the Alabama Department of Revenue;
  • Hear appeals involving self-administered counties or municipalities that have opted-out of the Tax Tribunal’s jurisdiction;
  • Hear claims that a statute of the State of Alabama is unconstitutional on its face;
  • Hear matters that are pending in state or federal court; and
  • Hear any issues involving federal income tax liabilities. If a taxpayer has a federal income tax issue, such matters should be addressed to the Internal Revenue Service.

No. Payment plans and settlements must be arranged with the Alabama Department of Revenue, which is a separate state agency from the Alabama Tax Tribunal.